As the Broncos travel to New England for their matchup with the Patriots, the Broncos have had quite a busy week news-wise.
• RB Melvin Gordon has been ruled out for Sunday’s game with strep throat (a common non-COVID illness that is pretty contagious) and will not be traveling with the team to New England. Earlier this week, Melvin Gordon was pulled over for a DUI charge. He told the Bronco about this immediately and was sent home from practice the next day. The day after that, he practiced with the team but stayed home for the rest of the week due to his strep throat illness. It’s safe to say he’s had a pretty bad week. He is still expected to receive a 2-3 game suspension from the NFL, as well.
• TE Noah Fant has been ruled out of the game vs the Patriots with an ankle injury (high ankle sprain). He practiced all week on a limited basis but it appears that his ankle just didn’t ready yet for football.
• Broncos Running Back Coach Curtis Modkins tested positive for COVID-19, however, there is nothing that is needed to be worried about. Modkins reported to the Broncos that he was in contact with an individual that tested positive about five days ago. Since then, he isolated himself from the rest of the team just in case he tested positive which needed up happening. Thankfully he has not been around the team pretty much all week and is handling the virus well so this is not a risk to other players/staff and will not change whether the game is played on Sunday or not.
• The Broncos have released veteran QB Blake Bortles. He was signed after Drew Lock suffered a shoulder injury in week 2 vs Pittsburgh. Due to Lock’s speedy recovery (he is expected to play this week), the postponed week 5 matchup, and the good debut of Brett Rypien at QB, Bortles was, unfortunately, never able to see the field in a game and was therefore released, as the Broncos have no need to be carrying four healthy QB’s on the active roster.
• Broncos 2013 1st-round pick DT Sylvester Williams is back on the team’s active roster. After he left the Broncos, Williams has had stops with four different teams. However, he will be back on the football field wearing the orange in blue, once again, in week 6.
• Finally, as of now the Broncos vs Patriots game is still on as expected despite the two positive COVID tests from the Patriots on Friday. According to Adam Schefter, there are no known contingency plans in place and the NFL has just decided that the game will definitely be played as of now.
OUT: WR K.J. Hamler, OLB Jeremiah Attaochu, TE Noah Fant, RB Melvin Gordon
QUESTIONABLE: QB Drew Lock (is expected to play as he practiced in full all week), DT Mike Purcell
*CB A.J. Bouye is still on the IR, but on Thursday Fangio said he’s “doubtful” to play
For up to the minute Broncos Updates, make sure you are following me on my Instagram account: @Broncos.Insider.
For more NFL content, make sure to check out the rest of the content here on Fan to Fan Network.